What Do I Want To Be When I Grow Up?  

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Recently, as I wandered around the local Barnes & Noble, I noticed a few books about Second Life. I knew they were out there, but I'd never actually looked through any of them. As I flipped to the back of the book about how to become a successful entrepreneur in SL, I noticed an ad for Creating Your World: The Official Guide To Advanced Content Creation For Second Life. Interesting, thought I. But, alas, the book was not in stock and I had gift certificates just begging to be used. And then, divine intervention. The salesperson reminded me that gift certificates could be used for internet purchases. Color me happy. The book arrived last week...

Color me confused.

It is a great book, don't get me wrong. Well organized, cleanly written, relatively easy to follow (provided you have at least some basic knowledge of SL, the client viewer menus, and building). So why, then, am I confused?

I don't know what I want to be when I grow up. The possibilities are literally endless. I love the idea of being an animator. But, what about building furniture? I could animate the sit positions. Oh, I know, I could make Clothing or Jewelry (but let's be honest, I am much better at shopping than I am at creating original, intricate and detailed clothing...so many others do it so well).

I think for a while I will just really commit myself to spending some time each day in content creation, talking to the people who have been successful in bringing their talents to SL (see note below) and practicing the skills I know and learning new ones.

So, dear readers, the questions are these: What should I be when I grow up? And what do you want to be when YOU grow up?


Until next time... do something, learn something, find something new...remember it is up to you to Create Your World!


...Check back later this week...Pyper and I are preparing a very special post all about Second Life Clothing Designer, Model, SpokesAvatar and Business Owner....Callie Cline! You won't want to miss our interview with Callie and a photo album of her designs...

Email this post


 

Design by Amanda @ Blogger Buster